Wednesday 11 June 2014

WRR Summer Handicap

The summer handicap is a Warrington Road Runner's club race, that is part of the club championship. It's designed to encourage all runners, not just those who are very fast and as such each runner sets off with a handicap, the slowest leaving first.  If the all is as it should be then all runners should finish at the same time (This was second club handicap but already i know that this never happens, which is part of the fun).

On my very first run with the club in November last year we did a route that started with (what seem like a very) long uphill and did a lot of the handicap route.  I struggled a lot (Bryan and Ian pretty much dragged me up) and hadn't ran that route since so I was a little bit apprehensive about the race. I made James drive me round the route the night before too as the problem with the slowest going first is that you have no one to follow. It turns out that it was no where near as bad as i thought.   I was meant to leave a minute behind the first person but as she didn't know the route we left at the same time with Bryan (Who should be in the dictionary next to perseverance cos he is awesome).  Both Bryan and I were took the lead for the entire race, taking it in turns to flag and push each other but for a little while i was running on my own in front which is a very strange experience that i doubt i'll ever have again.  The drive to stay in front is immense but it's intensified knowing that someone could come and overtake you at any minute (And i did expect some of the other runners to pass).  Whilst we were far from the fastest, we crossed the line first and so I'm looking forward to my first every (and probably only) first place trophy at the awards night early next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment